Posts

Friday, March 30, 2012

Day One

Burlington, Ontario to Echo Bay (Just outside Sault Ste. Marie), Ontario
Today's km: 739.4


When I drove home from Virginia last month, I listened to an audiobook and found it made the journey feel spectacularly easy, compared to just listening to music and talking to myself. I was worried, though, that it was some kind of fluke and I was going to end up driving myself into Lake Superior just to end the boredom.

As it turns out, it wasn't a fluke. Driving really is much easier with a good book to listen to along the way. For my first day's trip, I chose Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. By the time I arrived at my destination, I was two thirds of the way in and I didn't want to get out of my car, I was so engrossed.

The trip was smooth and easy, all the way through. I stopped and said goodbye to mum, who was surprisingly chill about my leaving, got myself a diet coke and started off north. By the time I hit cottage country, I was moving along at a comfortable pace, enjoying the scenery and the story. Really, I had nothing to complain about. The road was flat and straight, the weather was clear but not too sunny and the traffic was minimal. My destination, fortunately, turned out to be much more interesting.

IMG_0730
The Big Nickel!


I pulled off the Trans Canada just before reaching the Sault and watched as the bars on my cell phone disappeared, one by one, until I reached the banks of The North Channel of Lake George (apparently, I had to look it up). I had arrived at a beautiful home, right on the water. My brain was vibrating slightly from listening to the hum of the car for so long, and I really just wanted to sit quietly and eat my hummus while the sun set. Carol, the proprietor of the B&B, however, seemed very, very glad for the company and invited me to sit and chat with her for a while. She told me about her travels, her guests, her kids, their families, their jobs, her house, her divorce, her bankruptcy and how she was putting good energy out into the universe and hoping to get the same back. She was very sweet.

Eventually, she must have seen that I was tired (and mildly frightened) because she gave me the tour and showed me to my room. After politely declining her offer for dinner, I managed to sneak away to my room, set myself up on the balcony and watch the sun set over the water.

IMG_0747
Sort of self-explanatory, right?



March isn't the ideal time to sit outside for an hour in Northern Ontario, so after the sun set, I partook in the enormous whirlpool bath next to my room and soaked away the day. I watched two episodes of Justified and fell happily asleep on a very comfortable and well-appointed bed.

photo (3)
Not a bad way to end the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment